Monday, January 14, 2013

Living the Dream

At almost thirty years old I have worked for half my life. This is an interesting thing to realize. Whats more, I have only recently ( in the past year ) begun to do work that I truly enjoy, and that actually matters to me. All I can ever remember wanting to do is make music. From an early age I have been fascinated with music and how people make it, use it, and react to it. I have sung since I could speak and have taught myself to play a variety of instruments. In my teens and early twenties, I played music in several groups, and came close to living the dream of playing for a living. I played all kinds of music with all kinds of people. I worked a slew of unimportant, uninteresting jobs for so many years just to support myself enough to have those brief amazing moments on stages of all sizes. During all this I never really gave much thought to my actual happiness. I didn't think about how sustainable my future happiness was. Then one day while working as a handyman it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I was 27 years old. I was not a famous rock star. I had been working for over 10 years with nothing to show, and I hated getting up and going to my cruddy job. It was time for a change.

All it took was one week of web searches, phone calls, and an entry test, to get me registered at a technical college where I could apply my love for music and my aptitude for mechanics. One week to start me on the path to a future in which I could be surrounded by music while making a decent living! I left my home state of Texas and moved 1600 miles to Minnesota, and after a year of filling my head with everything I could have ever imagined and more about band instrument repair, I found myself back in Texas making my living in a music store. I had done it! I was one of the few people out there who could say that I truly enjoyed my work. I was finally able to take pride in my work, knowing that the work I was doing was actually making a difference. Each instrument that I repaired gave a student or professional player the opportunity to play and sound their best, all while making a decent living and enjoying every minute of it.

After honing my skills in a busy shop repairing band instruments, I decided to return to school and expand my knowledge to include the repair and construction of one of my favorite instruments, the guitar. In just over another year I will be able to continue living my musical dreams. I will be able to truly "make" music happen. Building custom musical instruments and continuing to repair instruments of all kinds and calibers. It is a truly amazing feeling to wake up each day and enjoy what you do. If you have a dream follow it. You may be glad you did. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Aaron so proud of you and very happy you are in our lives. You are truly an amazing person. Get to it can't wait to see the finished products. Music is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah explains it as the difference of having a career instead of just having another job. I recently started my career (I haven't had rolled a burrito for anyone in nearly six months), and it is a great feeling. I'm glad you found your career.

    ReplyDelete