Monday and Tuesday, were spent this week finalizing all shapes and aspects of the "Mustrat". The guitar has been shaped, and prep sanded with the grain to 180 grit along with the neck. All the electronics have been pre wired into the tortoise pick guard and chrome control plates so they are ready to drop into the guitar after spraying the finish. The frets are leveled, crowned and polished, and I made a fresh bone nut for it. The sanding is tedious work following every grain line around each curve constantly checking to be sure all the larger sanding and carving scratches are gone, but the finished product can only be as good as the prep work that goes in.
Next time you see this thing it will be a cool minty surf green with lots o chrome!
On Tuesday I was interviewed by a woman from the College Communications office to be used in a web based student spotlight! She took some snap shots of me working, the guitars i have built , and we sat down and had a chat about my experience here at school, my past, and my plans for the future. The article will be featured on the Southeast Tech web page next week in preparation for the big annual guitar show, which showcases all of the amazing instruments built here each year.
Wednesday i took to wet sanding and buffing my "sea foam green" project board to a mirror shine for final grading. Its so rewarding to watch all the scratches fade away and reveal that flawless high gloss.
A few coats of gloss lacquer were sprayed onto the guitar shaped sunburst board to seal those in as well
Friday I desoldered, cleaned up and re soldered all the connections in my trusty #1 Strat. The guitar has been hastily wired a few different ways over the years with different mods ( Treble bleed loop, kill switch in, kill switch out ) and it was grounding out somewhere causing the tone controls to kill the guitar when turned down. After cleaning and re wiring everything with fresh wire and solder she is back to her sweet quiet bell like self. I cleaned her all up inside and out and re joined the freshly fret dressed neck with new bone nut to the body. Then spent a good hour setting it back up with new strings and perfect action and intonation. plugged her in and played a bit... Shes a happy girl! We've been through a lot, she deserved it......
Well next week and a half will be spent spraying lacquer on the acoustic and waiting for paint to dry! Its sooo crazy what i have accomplished in these past 8 months! I cannot wait to hear these things play!! Thanks as always for reading and all of your support and encouragement! I'm off to enjoy this awesome weather we are finally having!!!